VENETIAN MASQUERADE BALL - fun with a mask & the best people watching ever.





After our puppet party experience in San Diego, Mr. C and I have been on the quest to find new and different evenings out. The comfortable 'DINNER & a MOVIE' can only be so exciting - so to expand our lives we are on the hunt each week for the unusual. Lucky us - we saw there was a local masquerade ball to raise money for the symphony. We dressed up, donned feather & glitter masks (I had some already thank to my New Orleans trip a couple of years ago) and headed to the party. 




It was great people watching to see all of the unique masks and ball gowns. The theme was black tie, but it ended up being more 'costumey' than formal. Women's dresses ranged from southern style gowns with hoops to floor length beaded gowns. Men wore kilts (yes - still confused over that one), suits, and tuxedos with capes and top hats. 



Wearing a mask sounds more fun than it is. You lose peripheral vision skills, and it feels like you're looking down two long tubes of wrapping paper.  Since I have to wear a gas mask on occasion (military stuff), I was fine with it - but Mr. C was literally blind and kept running into things. His black feather bird mask eventually became head gear, and he switched to the teeny-tiny silver one. His own custom look. 


STUPID EMBARRASSING STORY: Later on in the evening this guy approached me and asked if he could sketch me (this was a free service being offered at the event). Feeling flattered and singled out, I graciously said yes. As he was drawing it, he kept saying - "Wow, this is turning out great, you have great facial features - I think you're going to be really pleased with this-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH" 


My lovely blogger friends - I present to you his CRAP drawing........
Seriously? Wth? Why is it caricatures and sketches make you either look crazy or like a totally different person. Ego........ crash and burn. Overall the ball was SO MUCH FUN, and if you get a chance to go to one - please do. 


xoxo
Michelle
PS: Ms. Renie is up tomorrow with Recycled Fashion!

9 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Would love to see the dress :)

Christianna said...

Sounds like so much fun! And that picture of you is a what the hell moment for sure. Hahahahahah.

Green Tea and Cupcakes said...

That picture of you is crazy does not look a thing like you. I so want to see what you wore.

Anonymous said...

"I spent three hours shading your upper lip. It's probably the best drawing I have ever done." That sketch reminded us of Napoleon Dynamite. We love you!

-Ashlee and Megan

Kristen said...

your mask is so awesome! that drawing is cool in an abstract way

Sarah Tokeley said...

This seems like so much fun. I love the way you just happened to have masks, just waiting for the right occasion :-)

Curtise said...

You look stunning in your mask (I second the request for a dress shot!) That sketch is hilarious, NOTHING about it resembles you at all! xxxx

Unknown said...

I wish I could see more of your outfit - but I love the combination of the feathers of your mask and the decadent fur you are wearing :)

haha, love the pic at least it is something you can have a giggle over!

Talitha xx

Helga said...

OMG,that drawing is hilarious!!! He needn't have talked it up!But it's not awful,just funny!
You look so divine,what a splendid thing,to attend a masquerade!I tried to have that theme for a party once,but no one did it properly,and I was most annoyed!
May I ask if you remember where in New Orleans you got the masks? I'm going to be ther ein June,and that's just the sort of thing I would like to buy!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX