As promised here is the scoop on our special visitors from DANCING WITH THE STARS. I wouldn't call them 'Celebrities', but they are known by anyone that follows the US based show.
The following dancers visited us last week:
RANDOM FACTS, OBSERVATIONS and COMMENTS:
- 4-inch heels should not be worn inside the airplanes and around medical equipment
- Wearing perfume will make a patient BARF
- Please (pretty pretty please) shake our hands and be nice to us. Yes, even when the CAMERA IS NOT AIMED AT YOU.
- 'Visitors' should be briefed on how to interact with the wounded. The following conversation is NOT APPROPRIATE: (Visitor vs. Extremely wounded but conscious patient).
- VISITOR: "So.....what happened to you?"
- PATIENT: "I stepped on an IED ma'am"
- VISITOR: "Uhhhhh hellooo, English please." (giggle)
- PATIENT: "Uh ok. I stepped on a bomb and blew up"
- VISITOR: Shoulder shrug and casual walk away. (Yes people, she just WALKED away).
- A "CORRECT" RESPONSE would have been: I am so sorry, how horrible for you. Thank you so much for your service".
From an observers standpoint, I'm seeing how the visit could have been so much better with a little more prep given to the visitors. I''m keeping my fingers crossed that the next group will be more comfortable/compassionate with the patients. I suppose they can't all be Angelina Jolie.
Oh btw, I have an update (inside scoop on her last visit). Ask about it in a comment, and I'll post it there as a response.