Franconian Dinner

The first night of my adventure was in a quiet town called Dinkelsbuhl. The small town is surrounded by MEDIEVAL WALLS and has a charm that cant be replicated in the larger cities.

This was the perfect starting spot since it wasn't full of tourists and is a hidden gem along the popular highway referred to as the 'ROMANTIC ROAD'. I've heard of Bavaria before,  but this was different - it was FRANCONIAN.

Hard to tell the difference except for the menu choices and some architectural differences in the buildings. These ones had more of a GOTHIC feel to them, which was enhanced by the locals wearing traditional clothes - and even a NIGHT WATCHMAN to give you a twilight tour of the city.


Here is my dinner story in photos: 

I felt like a midget during this entire trip. I have never seen so many tall people - both men and women. It was really bizarre.

I'm not a huge meat eater, but I figured I should try a 'traditional' plate of food to experience theh culture fully. The prices were reasonable, how bad could it be?


Ugh barf. WHAT WAS I THINKING? It looks nice, but there was alot of leftovers with the liver sausage, head cheese and other mystery meats. Mr. C would have been in heaven!  I enjoyed a mug of the local brew, sparkling water and a glass of champagne instead.



So I have to know - who here eats mystery sausages and meat?

Is there really blood in blood sausage, and why is liver so popular?

How much ham and cured meats are we really supposed to eat?  

7 comments:

Tanya said...

wow, the mystery food!! the beer!!! THE TALL PEOPLE!!! love your trip stories. Actually, in Ukraine we also eat blood sausage, so it doesn't gross me out as much as other people. Liver sausage does sound sketch though, but I do love pâté, go figure :)

Unknown said...

holy moly! Check out that tall dude! Sounds like you had a blast - yum food too :)

Psst, were you mentioning something about a button? Either making your own or wanting mine? If so good news! I just made one today and posted a link to an awesome blog on 'how to'

Talitha xx

Claudia Moser said...

There is a big difference between Franken and Bayern, if you are interested do google the regions, because there is a lot of local historical background. One important comment: never say that Franken does belong to Bayern, that is an insult for the local people :)

The Fashionable Traveler said...

What a charming place. I have had a couple of those...what was I thinking moments when I was in France. Like you, I don't eat a lot of red meat, and I've never been a huge fan of sausage...but for some reason I feel compelled to order it sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an amazing adventure! I can't wait to visit Europe. :)

I would say I eat mystery sausages. Ew. I know. Except head cheese b/c of what it actually is. Gross. Yes, there is really blood in blood sausage. (Chicken) liver is actually pretty good fried and is a great source of iron. As far as ham and cured meats, I think they are high in sodium and nitrates/nitrites(?), so we should probably not eat too much, but I *love* almost any kind of jerky!

Selina. said...

yes there is really blood in black pudding (blood sausage) i don't eat mystery meat/sausages but Norwegians love them and the English wouldn't say no :P
NOMs to the beer though ;)

Green Tea and Cupcakes said...

So much meat, I am proud of you for trying though. How teeny tiny do you look next to that giant.